Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Judgement and Perfection....

I have recently discovered the revolutionary and astonishing idea that things don't have to be perfect, that the fact that things aren't perfect is not a good enough reason to not do whatever it is that needs to be perfect - this sentence being a good example of an imperfect but nevertheless OK thing.
Usually when I do a drawing or painting, I'm quick to judge it as worthy or not, usually the latter. This is a very unhelpful and limiting way to go about being an artist (or anything, for that matter). So I have decided that as an exercise, Each day in May, I will do a small drawing / painting, that is allowed not to be perfect, and that I will make no judgements on. I will just love them as they are, and accept that every mark and brushstroke is part of my journey as an artist. Letting go of perfection means that things can be perfect just as they are, which takes away the need for judgement, the fear of failure, and leaves room for things to improve effortlessly. Here are my first two small sketches ...they are my creations, and like children, I will love them exactly as they are, and take from them the lessons I need to in order to grow myself. This is the only way I can actually make them "better", and like children on their first day of school, now that creating them is done, I need to be able to let them go...a scary and terrifying thing, as any mother will know!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures, beautiful thoughts