Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Resistance is useless

Life has a way of throwing up obstacles right at the most inconvenient times, right when you are counting on everything going according to plan. One thing I have learned over the last few days is not to rely on technology in executing my best laid plans. My computer, at a crucial moment, decided to die, with no consideration for the fact that I placed my life pretty much in its hands. I lost my calendar, my recent work, and several important things which should never have been entrusted to a machine with the capability to die. Anyway, eventually I replaced the traitorous beast with a new and improved version, which just like in the ads http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuqZ8AqmLPY, spends most of it's time asking me if I'm happy to allow what it is that I'm trying to do.

I have learned also that resistance really is useless - getting stuck in how things should have worked, or why they won't work, or hard things are, just simply doesn't help, and just makes things worse. It's a bit like riding a young horse who is stuck and is resisting your direction - the easiest way to overcome that resistance and have the horse going where and how you want him to, is to let him go his own way for a little. To accept his direction, and go with the flow so that he becomes unstuck. Once he has some momentum, he is a lot easier to redirect. The trick is to redirect before he takes his own direction further than you want. After all, it's the destination that counts, not the track taken to get there, and the longest route often turns out to be quicker, easier and more scenic. When things go wrong, by relaxing and accepting a new approach, we often find unexpected gifts and, just like the young horse, every time we are redirected by what life throws at us, we learn something. It's much more fun from the back of a horse than in front of a computer though.

No comments: